Northern Light Health Pharmacist in Ellsworth, Maine
Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital
Department: Pharmacy - General
Position is located: Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: No Hours Assigned
The Staff Pharmacist provides pharmaceutical care services and departmental direction in the absence of the Pharmacy Director. Pharmaceutical Services includes all aspects of drug storage, distribution, preparation, ordering and maintaining adequate supplies; review of medical orders, dispensing of medications for inpatients and outpatients, providing medications to various departments, offices and clinics supporting policy for medication use; quality assurance functions including adverse drug reactions and errors involving medications; pharmaceutical care planning and compliance with all regularly requirements. The patient population ranges from neonatal and pediatric to adolescent and geriatric care, with the largest population being geriatrics. Provides supervision for Pharmacy Technicians and pharmacy support personnel.
Supervises pharmacy employees when on duty:
• Evaluates employee performance by providing input into an annual evaluation and on a daily basis.
• Provides feedback on a daily basis, as appropriate.
• Assists employees in maintaining current education in their field.
• Supervises the collection of (or prepares) data for monthly statistical reports for quality assurance, as requested.
• Provides statistical information for ongoing research
• Provides other statistical data as requested.
• Reviews and interprets medication orders using patient profiles.
• Resolves problems relating to drug procurement, admixture, distribution and control.
• Provides pharmaceutical care; that is the direct provision of medication related care for the purpose of achieving definitive outcomes that improve a patient quality of life by:
o identifying, resolving and preventing potential and actual medication related problems
o Decisions not use medication therapy
o Judgments about medication selection, dosages routes and methods of administration
o Medication therapy monitoring
o Provisions of medication - related information and counseling to individual patients
• Retrieves, analyzes and disseminates drug information to other health care professionals.
• Provides team leadership for Hospital and Community Outreach Programs.
• Provides team leadership for hospital and clinic medication use, adverse drug reactions and medication error programs
• Collects Patient Data: Collects data from the patient record or profile, efficiently and accurately.
• Interviews, educates and counsels patients with appropriate documentation and communication to other health care professionals, as needed.
• Efficiently and accurately applies data for drug use review.
• Access patient/family need for education or counseling, as needed.
• Prepares medication for distribution. Accurately creates a new patient profile.
• Follows established laws and protocols to select the appropriate product.
• Explains federal and state laws governing the substitution of drug products.
• Explains the purpose and use of the formulary.
• Accurately reviews, counts or measures finished dosage forms as specified by the prescription or medication order.
• Accurately uses the metric, avoirdupois and household system to count and measure.
• Demonstrates skill in the operation of common pharmaceutical measurement and weighing devices.
• Assembles the correct ingredients for sterile and non-sterile products that require compounding.
• Demonstrates the proper procedure for maintaining the sterility of materials being assembled for compounding a sterile product.
• Compounds sterile, non-sterile, cytotoxic and other hazardous drug products using appropriate technique.
• Follows safety policies and procedures in preparation of all medications.
• Follows safety policies and procedures in the disposal of all hazardous and nonhazardous wastes generated during medication preparation.
• Packages product in the appropriate type and size container.
• Affixes the appropriate primary and secondary labels to containers.
• Follows established policies and procedures for recording the preparation of bulk, unit dose, controlled substances and special doses of medication.
• Follows the manufacturers recommendation and/or pharmacy guidelines for storage of all medications prior to the distribution.
• Distributes medications: Delivers the correct medication, equipment, devise or supplies to the patient or the patient's representative.
• Follows established policies and procedures to record the distribution of prescription medication and controlled substances.
• Maintains medications, supplies and equipment: Follows established procedures for purchasing pharmaceuticals, devises and supplies.
• Receives and verifies the receipt od drugs and goods according to policy and procedures.
• Follows procedures for removing and documenting removal from inventory expired/discontinued pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, devises, supplies or recalled items.
• Follows policies and procedures for the procurement, handling, storage and removal of controlled substances.
• Maintains a clean and neat work environment.
• Follows manufacturers recommendations for care and maintenance of equipment.
• personal and professional responsibilities:
• Acts ethically in all pharmacy practice.
• Maintains personal self-control and decorum
• Adapts to change in the workload environment as needed.
• Completes all work in the allotted timeframes.
• Able to state responsibility in:
o Code Green
o Code Red
o Code Pink
o Code 13
o Code Yellow
o Code Black
• State the purpose of MSDS
• Complies with MCMH compliance policies. Reports issues as needed.
• Written and oral communication is logical and organized.
• Communicates appropriately using the appropriate language and tone utilizing the appropriate chain of command as needed.
• Uses active listening in all dealings with co-workers and patients.
• Follows the MCMH policies on interpreters when needed.
• Uses e-mail appropriately and is accountable for its content.
• Organizes time and duties to meet the responsibilities of the job and the department.
• Demonstrates ability to balance assignment while maintaining flexibility as needs change.
• Actively participates with suggestions for improvement.
• Willingly expresses ideas
• Quality Improvement responsibilities:
• Works with pharmacy staff as all as other departments in developing and accessing quality improvement indicators.
• Collects and processes quality improvement data with the assistance of the pharmacy staff and other departments.
Competencies and skills:
Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
- Registered Pharmacist
- Bachelor's Degree
Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.